Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Kinetic and Pneumatic Inspirations

Clay as the main medium in my work provides some adversity when creating kinetic and pneumatic sculptures. I am beginning to experiment with the ridiculousness of how I am using clay to create sculpture and exaggerating them both aesthetically and functionally. I have been looking at artists such as Bernie Lubell and Arthur Ganson and how they use moving parts aesthetically. Also, I have begun looking at exaggerated machine forms in cartoons and children's books for inspiration too.


Arthur Ganson "Child Watching Ball"

 

Bernie Lubell
I had the opportunity to meet and have a private critique with Bernie last year. He was a great source of information and gave me a lot of advice with my pneumatic work. This video is great and shows a lot of his work. About half way through the video, he is repairing one of his machines, while looking and talking like a doctor. 

Lubell's sense of humor can also be seen in this video: http://vimeo.com/40287000

While looking at exaggerated machines and cartoon aesthetics, I stumbled across this image from a Dr. Seuss book. This has become the inspiration for a new pneumatic piece I have started.


3 comments:

  1. Wow, Bernie Lubell is awesome! whats with that MRI/ coffin- like contraption?

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I started reading your post, my started jumping to the Seuss - so glad you included him! You should make a machine like robotic muppet! All furry and stuff!
    You probably have already researched this, but check out this article on steam punk machines: http://guylife.com/photogallery-machines/7-awesome-steampunk-machines/6611/3#Gallery - a different aesthetic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Brazil" "Delicatessen" "City of lost Children" and Survival Research Laboratories... things to look at.

    ReplyDelete